Welcome to the Argillite Elementary Counseling Website!
My name is Ms. Sherri Nickel and I am your child's school counselor. I am available to help your child find success in school through personal/social, academic, and career services. Our school counseling program will work to identify and remove any barriers that may impede student achievement.
Over the course of the school year, I will be conducting weekly classroom guidance sessions, small-group sessions and individual counseling sessions. During classroom guidance, students will learn about common topics that are likely to affect them during their life. We will discuss preventative strategies to help them handle problems successfully. Small group and individual counseling will take place on an as needed basis. Students who may be experiencing personal, academic, or behavior problems at school and/or home are candidates for these services. Please contact me if you feel your child is experiencing difficulty and might possibly benefit from my help.
Elementary School Counselors believe…
- Children have dignity and worth as human beings.
- Children learn best when they feel good about themselves and their relationships with others.
- Children who understand their feelings are better able to control their behavior.
- Children are capable of making responsible choices.
- Attitudes formed during elementary school shape future attitudes toward learning, self and society.
Kentucky School Counselors Help Children Find Success in School by…
- Helping develop positive attitudes among students towards self, family, and community.
- Counseling with students individually and in groups to understand and appreciate their unique qualities and to grow personally and socially.
- Supporting students by teaching skills for achieving success.
- Developing and delivering classroom guidance lessons that teach skills such as making healthy decisions, resolving conflicts, and respecting others.
- Assisting students to become invested in their school success by showing them how school performance relates to future opportunities.
- Working collaboratively with students, parents, and teachers to identify and remove barriers that may impede student achievement.
Kentucky School Counselors Help Our Children Prepare for the Future by…
- Assisting students to develop personal awareness and explore personal goals.
- Helping develop communication and interpersonal skills needed to relate well to others.
- Providing a comprehensive and developmental guidance and counseling program that impacts all students K-12.
- Assisting students to learn, to work, to live in the 21stcentury.
Elementary School Counselors Help…
- Children develop a better understanding and acceptance of themselves.
- Children cope with family changes.
- Children develop decision making and problem solving skills.
- Children develop socially and emotionally, to mature in the relations with others.
- Children to understand themselves in relation to their own development.
- Parents understand their children’s emotions, behaviors, and learning styles, and assist them in meeting their child’s needs.
- School staff, teachers and administrators understand and meet the needs of all students in intellectual, personal, social and emotional areas.
- Parents and teachers create a positive learning environment.
Information provided by Kentucky School Counselor Association.
I am a life-long resident of Greenup County and graduated from Greenup County High School in 1995. I received my Bachelor’s degree in Elementary Education from Morehead State University in 1999. For the first ten years of my teaching career, I taught 3rd grade at Lewis County Central Elementary in Vanceburg, Kentucky. I received my Masters degree in 2003 and my Rank I in 2008, both in Guidance Counseling. I was very excited to begin my counseling career at Argillite in 2008.